A Chicago Indian – click the image to enlarge. [Photo taken in 2010 by Karsten Honsel, a visitor from Germany]
Absolom Wells Cabin – a boulder with a plaque marks the site were the cabin stood, directly opposite 13th Street and about one-eighth mile N of U.S. Highway 30, now part of the Wilson Woods Forest Preserve. The plaque reads: “Site of Absalom Wells` cabin, 1833, first settler in southern Cook County.” [692f]
Adam Brown – 1933 · a boulder located in the Steger Woods Forest Preserve, on the N side of Sauk Trail Road between Ashland and Western avenues in South Chicago Heights, originally had a plaque with the following inscription: “This boulder marks the site of the farm of Adam Brown, the first permanent white settler (1833) in Bloom Township. His log cabin, one and one-half miles east, was built on the northwest corner of the junction of two Indian and covered-wagon trails, the Sauk and the Hubbard.” The plaque was stolen soon after it had been placed. [692f] On May 19, 2003, a new bronze plaque honoring Adam Brown was placed at the intersection of Sauk Trail and Vincennnes Road in the Village of South Chicago Heights. [Found and photographed by Alan Gornik, 2010].
Algonquin Woods – named after a group of related North American Indian tribes sharing a similar language and living between the eastern seaboard and the Great Lakes at the time the first Europeans appeared. Both the Miami and the Potawatomi, the tribes most dominant in the Chicago region – although at different times – belong to the Algonquian group. The woods are located in the southernmost portion of the Des Plaines Division of the Cook County Forest Preserve District, bounded by Oakton Street, Des Plaines River Road, and the Tri-State Tollway.
Army Trail Road – 1974 · the plaque at the corner of West Army Trail Boulevard & J.F. Kennedy Drive in Addison, IL, in front of the Village Hall; noted and photographed by Alan Gornik, 2006.