Hamilton, Richard Jones – 1860 · second lawyer to settle in Chicago (1831); became a judge and held numerous city and county administrative positions before his death in 1860; his grave is in Rosehill Cemetery.
Hazel Green Cemetery – located on the southeast corner of the intersection of 115th Street and Laramie Avenue; all of the deceased members of the Lane family are buried there.
Henry DeTonty Woods – commemorates the French explorer Henri de Tonti, a friend of La Salle, whose first passage through the Chicago Portage was in 1680, followed by many more during his 26 years in North America. The woods are a portion of the Palos Division of the Cook County Forest Preserve District, located between Archer Avenue and the old Illinois & Michigan Canal at the level of 96th Street.
Historic Panels – 1928 · intaglio relief Indiana limestone panels, each seven feet high, on the fifth-floor facade of the 333 N. Michigan Avenue building, depicting seven major subjects: Father Marquette portaging with Indian and voyageur, settlers with an oxen team, an Indian brave, a pioneer woman, a trapper, soldiers guarding Ft. Dearborn, and traders exchanging with an Indian; (only six pnels are shown on photograph). Sculptor: Fred M. Torrey. Photograph provided by Alan Gornik, 2006.
Hitching Post – a remnant of the Fort Dearborn era, 1803 to 1834, this post is in Section 9 of the [see] Forest Home Cemetery in Forest Park. Said to have been donated by the family of [see] Edwin O. Gale, it was noted and photographed by Alan Gornik, 2006. [503a]
Hubbard Memorial Plaque – 1907 · a commissioned bronze tablet presented to the Chicago Historical Society by the widow Mary Ann Hubbard on Apr. 16, 1907; sculpted in 1906 by Julia Bracken Wendt to memorialize his October 1818 arrival and, in anticipation, the oak tree Gurdon climbed to first sight Ft. Dearborn, the village and the prairie; currently  in storage at the Chicago Historical Museum. The tablet bears a finely sculptured portrait of Hubbard’s head and the following inscription underneath: ”Voices From Afar Off · Call To Us · To Pause And Listen. · 1818.” [280a, 354, 705]
Hubbard, Alhira – 1849 · early settler (1830) from Vermont, uncle of Gurdon S. Hubbard and the father of Mary Ann, Gurdon`s cousin and third wife; died of cholera in 1849, but was reburied at Graceland Cemetery in 1868.
Hubbard’s Folly – 1937 · bronze plaque E of the NE corner of Wacker Drive and LaSalle Avenue along river walkway, inscribed: ” `Hubbard`s Folly` – On this site about 1834, Gurdon S. Hubbard built Chicago`s first warehouse, for storing pork and other pioneer produce. Because of its size and substantial construction, early skeptics called the building `Hubbard`s Folly.` – Erected by Chicago`s Charter Jubilee – Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society – 1937.” [280a]
Hubbard’s Trail – The Illinois Historical Society has placed the commemorative marker shown here. It marks the trail used many times by the Chiccago trader Gurdon S. Hubbard from 1822 to 1824 to reach various trading posts, several of which were owned by him.The marker is located on the S side of the Illinois Highway No. I along the S bank of the Kankakee River immediately W of the city of Momence. Additional markers identifying the trail are located in Crete, Iroquois, Watseka, Milford and Rossville. The photo shown here was taken by Alan Gornik in 2008. [692f]