La Salle – 1889 · bronze statue of the explorer “Robert Cavelier · De La Salle” in Lincoln Park, east side of north Clark Street, north of junction with LaSalle Street; commissioned by Lambert Tree. Sculptor: Count Jacques de La Laing.
La Salle – 1939 · mural in the Oak Park post office entitled “La Salle`s Search for Tonti 1680” — referring to La Salle`s return to Fort de Crevecoeur, when he found the fort destroyed and Tonti gone; they were reunited in May 1681 at Mackinac. Artist: J. Theodore Johnson.
La Salle & Missionaries – 1937 · bronze plaque in Jackson Park at 67th Street and south Lake Shore Drive, inscribed: “Skirting this lakeshore in October, 1679, La Salle and the Franciscan missionaries, Fathers La Ribourde, Hennepin and Membre, journeyed by canoe to the St. Joseph River, Michigan, and thence to the Illinois country. – Erected by Chicago`s Charter Jubilee – Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society – 1937.” [This bronze plaque could no longer be located by the editors as of 1998.]
La Salle & Tonti – 1925 · bronze bas-relief plaque located on the west railing of the Michigan Avenue bridge, inscribed: “In Honor of Réné-Robert Cavalier [sic] Sieur de La Salle & Henri de Tonti – Who passed through this river on their way to the Mississippi – December 1681 – This tablet is placed by the Illinois Society of the Colonial Dames of America under the auspices of the Chicago Historical Society – 1925.” The tablet pictures two Indian guides, an Indian woman with child, the two explorers, and three voyageurs portaging their canoe. Photograph by Alan Gornik, 2008.
Lake Chicago – inscribed bronze plaque marking the location of an early beach ridge 8000 to 9000 years ago during the Tolleston phase when the water level of the predecessor of Lake Michigan, called Lake Chicago by geologists, was 20 feet above the current level. The undated marker is located in the southern portion of Lincoln Park, on the foot path paralleling the east side of Stockton Drive. A second identical marker is located on the same ancient beach ridge c.485 feet ENE from the first one (noted by Alan Gornik). For additional information on even higher ancient lake level beach ridges see the entry “Lake Chicago” in the encyclopedic section.
Land of Healing Waters – 1984 · the monument at Willow West Drive and 85th Street in Willow Springs, IL: “This plaque, presented in 1984 by the Swallow Cliff Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, commemorates the site where, hundreds of years before the white settlers came, the Potawatomi and other Indian tribes in the midwest area sought out the sacred `land of the healing waters`, because of the many springs thought to possess recuperative powers. They knew they had reached it when they came upon a formation of large boulders arranged in a north to south direction, in the area now known as Willow Springs. A circle of boulders contained the ceremonial eternal flame kept burning by The Mascouten Society, a religious group. The Indians came to this place to be cared for until healed. · Dedicated June 27, 1982 by the Willow Springs Historical Society.” [The monument was noted and photographed by Alan Gornik, 2006.]
Laughton`s Trading Post – inscribed granite boulder located in the Ottawa Trail Woods Forest Preserve. [When entering the preserve from Harlem Avenue at 46th Street, proceed to the fourth parking area, the one equipped with a water pump; and from there walk westward along a path toward the river.] The boulder is heavily weathered and many of the incised words have become illegible. Old photographs reveal that the inscription once read: “This is the site of the trading post established and operated by Bernardus and David Laughton, fur traders, in 1828 – Laughton`s Ford on the Des Plaines lies directly west.” See Laughton`s Ford.
Laughton’s Ford – 1932 · bronze plaque upon a granite boulder along the Des Plaines River opposite 164 Fairbanks Road, Riverside; inscribed: “This boulder marks the old river-crossing used by the Indians on the trail from north to south by the fur traders, and by the early settlers in the development of the west. – Dedicated July 4, 1932 – Women`s Reading Club – Riverside, Illinois – Chicago Historical Society.” The crossing is also known as “Riverside Ford.” It is down river and close to where Laughton`s Tavern stood, and not far up river from the current Burlington Railroad station, where Laughton’s Trading Post is believed to have stood, and where Bernardus Laughton once lived.
Leif Ericson – 1901 · in Humboldt Park, 1400 N. Humboldt Boulevard; large bronze statue of the Viking standing on a granite bolder, inscribed: “Leif Ericson – Discoverer of America”; commissioned by Chicago`s Norwegian community in commemoration of the arrival of Ericson in “Vinland” c.A.D. 1000. Sculptor: Sigvald Asbjornsen.
Lincoln, the Man – 1926 · bronze statue, popularly known as Standing Lincoln, located in Lincoln Park near North Avenue; created by Augustus Saint-Gaudens in 1887. The City of Chicago awarded the monument landmark status on Dec. 12, 2001.
Little Fort Road – 1937 · bronze plaque at 2375 Lincoln Avenue, inscribed: “Little Fort Road – Here began the Little Fort Road, now Lincoln Avenue, an Indian trail which became the main road to Little Fort or Waukegan, the first important settlement north of Chicago. – Erected by Chicago`s Charter Jubilee – Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society – 1937.” [This bronze plaque could no longer be located by the editors as of 1998.]
Log House – 1893 · An authentic early French Illinois log house was once on display in Chicago’s Jackson Park for 34 years. The building was the old Cahokia Court House, the first court house of Illinois, which had been dismanteled in Cahokia and reassembled for the 1893 Columbia Exposition. The photograph shown here, from an old picture postcard, displays the characteristic features of vertical beam arrangement and the surrounding porch. For more Information see the Encyclopedia, entries `Cahokia` and `log house.`