Dearborn Street Bridge – bronze bas-relief tablet at the current bridge site with a view of the old bridge, inscribed: “Chicago`s first movable bridge was constructed at this site in 1834. The timber span provided only a 60 foot opening for the passage of vessels. So dangerous to ships was this narrow draw, that the bridge was ordered removed by the council in 1839. The present bridge is the fourth at this site.” For another monument to this bridge see entry “Bridge.”
Dearborn Street Drawbridge – 1937 · bronze plaque on the first pylon east of Dearborn Street, north side of Wacker Street; inscribed, “Dearborn Street Drawbridge – First drawbridge over the Chicago River was constructed at Dearborn Street in 1834 by Nelson R. Norton. A primitive wooden affair, 300 feet long with 60 foot opening, the council removed it in 1839. – Erected by Chicago`s Charter Jubilee – Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society – 1837.” [This bronze plaque could no longer be located by the editors as of 1998; it was likely replaced by the tablet of the preceding entry.]
Defense – 1928 · concrete sculpture on the southwest pylon of the Michigan Avenue bridge commemorates the Fort Dearborn massacre of 1812, with text tablet: “Defense – Fort Dearborn stood almost on this spot. After an heroic defense in eighteen hundred and twelve, the garrison together with women and children was forced to evacuate the fort. Led forth by Captain Wells, they were brutally massacred by the Indians. They will be cherished as martyrs in our early history. – Erected by the Trustees of the B.F. Ferguson Monument Fund – 1928.” Sculptor: Henry Hering.
Dexter Graves Monument – 1909 · called “Eternal Silence” and located in Graceland Cemetery, very close to the Kinzie family grave site. In 1831 Dexter Graves owned and ran an unpretentious log cabin hotel called the Mansion House; later he did well in land speculation. After his death, Henry Graves commissioned the monument for his father`s grave site: an eight-foot-tall haunting draped and hooded figure, the sunken face blackened by age. Sculptor: Lorado Taft.
Discoverers – 1930 · concrete sculpture on the northeast pylon of the Michigan Avenue bridge honors Louis Jolliet, Jacques Marquette, René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, and Henri de Tonti, shown in the company of Indians and a guardian angel, with text tablet: “The Discoverers – Jolliet, Father Marquette, La Salle, and Tonti will live in American history as fearless explorers who made their way through the Great Lakes and across this watershed to the Mississippi in the late seventeenth century and typify the spirit of brave adventure which has always been firmly planted in the character of the middle west. – Presented to the City by William Wrigley Jr. – 1930.” Sculptor: James Earle Frazer.
Diversey Monument – 1869 · final resting place of Michael and Angela [Angeline] Diversy at St. Boniface Cemetery, 4901 North Avenue. Michael died on December 11, 1869.
Downer, Pierce – a view of the private cemetery of the Downer family in Downers Grove. For additional information see “Downer, Pierce” in the Encyclopedia section. [Photograph by Alan Gornik]
Du Sable, Jean Baptiste Pointe – see under Point de Sable, Jean Baptiste for additional monuments; also see Jean-Baptiste Pointe DuSable.
DuSable Bridge – formerly known as the [see] Michigan Avenue Bridge.
DuSable Museum of African American History – 1961 · dedicated to African culture in Chicago and worldwide; named after Jean Baptiste Point de Sable, with diverse sculptures in his presumed likeness on display; founded by Dr. Margaret Burroughs, who died at the age of 95 in 2010. The museum is located at 740 East 56th Place in Hyde Park; tel.: (773) 947-0600.