Saganashkee Slough – a large swampy lake, remnant of the prehistoric outlet of early Lake Chicago, has survived as part of the Palos Division of the Cook County Forest Preserve District; located between the Calumet Sag Channel and 107th Street, just west of 104th Avenue.
Saloon Building – 1937 · bronze plaque at southeast corner of Lake and [189 N.] Clark streets, inscribed: ” `Saloon Building` – So called because of the upper floor salon where entertainments were held. The Common Council having leased one of the rooms, the building was the City Hall from 1837 to 1842. – Erected by Chicago`s Charter Jubilee – Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society – 1937.” [This bronze plaque could no longer be located by the editors as of 1998.]
Sand Ridge Prairie – Sand Ridge Nature Center · portions of the Thorn Creek Division of the Cook County Forest Preserve District, located in Shabbona Woods, surrounded by 154th and 159th streets and Paxton and Torrence avenues. The names commemorate the long sandy beach ridge created by early Lake Chicago during the Glenwood beach stage 12,000 years ago. Indian trails followed the ridge and early pioneer cabins were built along the crest to avoid the moisture of the surrounding swamps. Where undisturbed, these ridge segments still preserve their unique ecosystems with species of trees, shrubs, and wildflowers requiring modest elevation and sandy soil for drainage. The nature center is at 15891 Paxton Avenue, South Holland; call (708) 868-0606.
Sauganash Hotel – [original plaque] also called Sauganash Tavern · bronze plaque with a view of the hotel in bas-relief, at 333 W. Lake St., inscribed: “Sauganash Hotel – Chicago – 1831 – The Sauganash Hotel, also called Sauganash Tavern, was built in 1831 on what is now the southeast corner of Lake Street and Wacker Drive [then Market Street]. It was Chicago`s first hotel and soon became the social center of town. In 1833, prominent local citizens met in the Sauganash Hotel to incorporate the town of Chicago. The first election and the first meeting of the town trustees were also held here. The hotel was destroyed by fire in 1851. – Presented by the Chicago Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.” The hotel originally began in 1829 as the Eagle Exchange Tavern, owned by Mark Beaubien. The log cabin was enlarged with a two-story blue shuttered clapboard structure that reopened in 1831 under the name Sauganash Tavern. Miller House was actually the first hotel in the village, built in 1827. [This bronze plaque could no longer be located by the editors as of 1998.]
Sauganash Hotel – [new plaque] 2002 · also referred to as Sauganash Tavern; inscribed plaque at 191 N. Wacker Avenue. For additional information see Encyclopedic Section. The photograph was taken by Alan Gornik, 2008.
Sauk Trail Woods – a portion of the Thorn Creek Division of the Cook County Forest Preserve District, located in South Chicago Heights, between Western and South Chicago avenues, accessible from 26th Street. Sauk Trail Road crosses through the woods, its eastern extension becoming Lincoln Highway, then U.S. Highway 30, still following the old cross-country Indian trail. Nearby, where Sauk Trail Road and South Chicago Avenue intersect, “Brown`s Corners” was an important crossroads of the old Northwest, South Chicago Avenue representing part of Hubbard`s Trace to Danville. [See photo of plaque, taken by Alan Gornik]
Schmidt-Burnham Log House – 1837 · in Crow Island Woods Park, 1140 Willow Road, where it was moved from Tower Road in Winnetka in 2003; may have built and owned by [see] Alexander McDaniel who had first come to Chicago in 1833. The house initially stood on the Green Bay Trail (now Ridge Road) and was moved in 1917. The early history of the structure had not yet been entirely retraced when it was named after subsequent owners (Peter Schmidt, Sr. and family, 1840s). It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in June 2005 and is now owned and preserved by the Winnetka Historical Society, to be opened to the public in Fall 2006.
Schoolhouse – a commemorative bronze plaque was formerly present at the site where Eliza Chappel was thought to have taught children in Chicago`s first one-room school house in 1833 at the intersection of State and South Water streets. Actually, the schoolhouse was located at the southeast corner of Lake and Market streets, adjacent to Mark Beaubien`s Sauganash Tavern. For details, see Chappel, Eliza, in the Encyclopedia. [This bronze plaque could no longer be located by the editors as of 1998.]
Shabbona Woods – a portion of the Thorn Creek Division of the Cook County Forest Preserve District has been named to commemorate this chief of the Potawatomi Indians. It is located between 154th and 159th streets, and between Paxton and Torrence avenues in Calumet City.
Soldier – 1914 · large `patinated` plaster bas relief plaque of a frontier soldier and Fort Dearborn, located on the sixth floor of the Harold Washington Library, inscribed: “In memory of the patriotic devotion and heroic pioneer service of Illinois soldiers in the War of 1812 – Erected by the State of Illinois at the request of the United States Daughters of 1812 and dedicated upon the close of one hundred years of peace between Great Britain and the United States – December 24, 1914 – They stood between their loved homes and the war`s desolation.” [Photograph by Alan Gornik, 2009]
South Water Street – 1926 · bronze bas-relief plaque at the northwest corner of Lake Street and Wacker Drive, showing the appearance of South Water Street in 1834 on the upper panel, and in 1924 on the second panel. After 1924 the name changed to Wacker Drive; a lettered panel below indicates that the plaque was installed by the city to commemorate completion of Wacker Drive`s construction in 1926, and that it was named after Charles H. Wacker, chairman of the Chicago Plan Commission. Photograph taken in 2008 by Alan Gornik.
South Water Street – 1937 · bronze plaque at northwest corner of State State and Wacker Drive, inscribed: “South Water Street – This was Chicago`s main business street in 1834, connecting the village with Fort Dearborn. Years before this also was the site of a trading post with the Indians. – Erected by Chicago`s Charter Jubilee – Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society – 1937.” [It is not clear to which “trading post” the plaque refers; eds.]
Stacy`s Tavern Museum – 1967 · located on Geneva Road (County Route 21) about 1/2 block W of Main Street, the restored 1846 tavern is now the Glen Ellyn Historical Society`s museum; the text of the plaque outside reads: “Stacy`s Tavern · Moses Stacy, soldier in the War of 1812, arrived here in 1835. This inn, built in 1846 and his second home, was a halfway stop between Chicago and the Fox River Valley and a probable stage stop for Rockford-Galena coaches. For many years the village was called `Stacy`s Corners`. · Erected by the Du Page Chapter, Daughters of the American Colonists and the Illinois State Historical Society, 1967.” The photograph was taken by Alan Gornik, 2007. [280a]
Steele, Ashbel – 1861 · family grave site in Forest Home Cemetery. Steele and his wife Harriet came to Chicago in 1833; in 1836 they became the first settlers in what is now River Forest.
Sulzer, Konrad – 1873 · his gravestone can be found at Graceland Cemetery, several hundred yards from the site of his early homestead. The Sulzer Regional Public Library of Chicago at 4455 N. Lincoln Avenue has been named in his honor.