Kennison Boulder – 1903 · aluminum plaque upon a granite boulder in Lincoln Park near Clark and Wisconsin streets, inscribed: “In Memory of – David Kennison, the last survivor of the `Boston Tea Party,` who died in Chicago, February 24, 1852, aged 115 yrs, 3 mos, 17 da, and is buried near this spot; this stone is erected by the Sons of the Revolution, the Sons of the American Revolution, the Daughters of the American Revolution.”
Kettlestrings House and Tavern – 1962 · bronze plaque once located at 1135 Lake Street in Oak Park, now preserved at the Oak Park Historical Museum, inscribed: “Birthplace of Oak Park – On this site in 1835, Joseph Kettlestrings and his wife, Betty, first settlers of Oak Park, built their cabin amid the oaks on `the only dry land between Chicago and the Aux Plaines.` It later became an inn, called the Oak Ridge House, and was the area`s first public eating place…a stopping point for travelers, and for cattlemen who drove their herds down the trail (now Lake Street) to Chicago. – By proclamation, August 3, 1962 – Oak Park Board of Realtors – John F. Butler, Jr., President.” For a photograph taken by Alan Gornik of a plaque currently (2010) on display in Scoville Park in the village of Oak Park, see “Kettlestrings, Joseph” in the Encyclopedia section.
Kettlestrings, Joseph and Betty – 1883 · the family grave site is located in [see] Forest Home Cemetery, Forest Park; the Kettlestrings arrived at Chicago in 1833.
Kinzie Family Grave – 1860 · John Kinzie, patriarch of the Kinzie family, is buried in Graceland Cemetery among many family members. John died on Jan. 6, 1828, and his remains were removed from several earlier sites before finding permanent rest. Shown here is his severely weathered gravestone.
Kinzie House – 1913 · bronze plaque on the James S. Kirk and Company building (soap factory) at 401 N. Michigan Avenue, inscribed: “Site of the First House in Chicago – Erected about 1779 by Jean Baptiste Point De Sable – A Negro from Santo Domingo – Property of the Frenchman Le Mai 1796-1804 – Purchased by John Kinzie and by him occupied from 1804 until the Fort Dearborn Massacre 1812 – Reoccupied by John Kinzie from 1816 until his death in 1828 – Abandoned in 1834 the house soon fell into ruin – With the concurrence of the Chicago Historical Society and the Daughters of the American Revolution – This tablet is dedicated in honor of John Kinzie and of the early inhabitants of Chicago on the centenary of the Fort Dearborn Massacre – This 15th day of August 1812 – By James S. Kirk and Company”; the unveiling of the tablet is believed to have occurred on July 11, 1913. [This bronze plaque could no longer be located by the editors as of 1998.]
Kinzie House – The Kinzie House near Fort Dearborn, 1804, was memorialized on one of 16 historical paintings by Lawrence C. Earle, originally located in the banking room of the Central Trust Company of Illinois, 152 Monroe Street, Chicago; now stored within the Collection Services Department at the Chicago History Museum. [280a]
Kinzie Mansion – 1937 · bronze plaque at 401 N. Michigan Avenue, Equitable Building Plaza, inscribed: “Kinzie Mansion – Near this site stood Kinzie Mansion 1784-1832, home of Pointe Du Saible, Le Mai, and John Kinzie. Chicago`s `First Civilian` – Here was born, in 1805, the city`s first white child, Ellen Marion Kinzie. – Erected by Chicago`s Charter Jubilee – Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society – 1937.” [Subsequent research has shown that some of the statements on the plaque are erroneous: Jean Baptiste Point de Sable built his house about 1782; he sold it to Jean Lalime and William Burnett, not to Le Mai; the structure was occupied by others through 1832; and Ellen Kinzie was born on Dec. 27, 1804, and not as the first white child; eds.] No longer on display in 2005, the original plaque photograph [441a] was located by Alan Gornik. A new plaque was photographed in situ by Christian Stegen during November 2011.