Marquette – also see Historic Panels; also see Jolliet & Marquette.
Marquette – 1930 · bas-relief sculpted monument with bronze plaque on the E side of Damen Avenue [once called Robey Street] at the level of 27 S Street, showing Father Marquette with an Indian, inscribed: “James Marquette, French priest of the Society of Jesus, on his mission to the Illinois Indians, spent here the winter of 1674-1675. His journal first brought to the world`s attention the advantages of soil, climate and transportation facilities in the Mississippi Valley and the Great Lakes basin. – Erected by the City of Chicago – William Hale Thompson, Mayor – Michael J. Faherty, Pres. Board of Local Improvements – Anno Domini MCMXXX.” Sculptor: E.P. Seidel, from a sketch by Thomas A. O`Shaughnessy.
Marquette – 1949 · concrete plaque on the northeast pylon of the Lake Shore Drive (Chicago River) bridge, with the seal of the City of Laon, Father Marquette`s birthplace, inscribed: “La Ville de Laon – La Ville de Chicago – en memoire de Jacques Marquette.”
Marquette & Jolliet – 1926 · monumental bronze figures of Father Jacques Marquette, Louis Jolliet, and an Illinois Indian on an inscribed concrete foundation [text in part badly weathered and covered with graffiti]; located at 24th Street and Marshall Boulevard; erected by the B.F. Ferguson Monument Fund. Sculptor: Hermon Atkins MacNeil. The inscription on the back of the foundation reads as follows: “This monument was erected by the Trustees of the Ferguson Monument Fund to commemorate the discoveries and the sacrifices of the Jesuit missionary Pere Marquette. Dedicated MCMXXVI.” The photograph was taken by Alan Gornik, 2007.
Land of Healing Waters – 1984 · the monument at Willow West Drive and 85th Street in Willow Springs, IL: “This plaque, presented in 1984 by the Swallow Cliff Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, commemorates the site where, hundreds of years before the white settlers came, the Potawatomi and other Indian tribes in the midwest area sought out the sacred `land of the healing waters`, because of the many springs thought to possess recuperative powers. They knew they had reached it when they came upon a formation of large boulders arranged in a north to south direction, in the area now known as Willow Springs. A circle of boulders contained the ceremonial eternal flame kept burning by The Mascouten Society, a religious group. The Indians came to this place to be cared for until healed. · Dedicated June 27, 1982 by the Willow Springs Historical Society.” [The monument was noted and photographed by Alan Gornik, 2006.]
Marquette & Jolliet – also see Chicago Portage National Historic Site · 1952.
Marquette and Joliet Cross – 1907 · old photographs document an early mahogany cross where Robey Street [now Damen Avenue] ended, on the left bank of the W fork of the S arm of the Chicago River. It was designed by Thomas A. O’Shaughnessy and erected on Sept. 28, 1907, by the Willey Lumber Co., guided by the Chicago Historical Society. A tablet on the back side of its concrete base was inscribed: “In memory of Father Marquette, S.J., and Louis Joliet of New France (Canada) First white explorers of the Mississippi & Illinois Rivers & Lake Michigan, 1673, navigating 2500 miles in canoes in 120 days. In crossing the site of Chicago, Joliet recommended it for its natural advantages as a place of first settlement and suggested a lakes-to-the-gulf waterway, (See “Jesuit Relations,” Vol. 58. p. 105) [*] by cutting a canal through the “portage” west of here where begins the Chicago Drainage-Ship Canal. Work on this canal was begun Sept. 3, 1892, and it received the first waters of Lake Michigan, Jan. 2, 1902. This remarkable prophecy made 234 years ago is now being fulfilled. This end of Robey Street is the historic “high ground” where Marquette spent the winter 1674-1675. “To do and suffer everything for so glorious an undertaking.” Marquette’s Journal. Erected Saturday, Sept. 28, 1907 by the City of Chicago and Chicago Association of Commerce.” This text was taken in 1907. [* Claude Dablon: “… It would only be necessary to make a canal, by cutting through but half a league of prairie, to pass from the foot of the lake of the Illinois to the river Saint Louis … which falls into the Mississippi. ….” Relation de la descouverte de plusieurs pays situez au midi de la Nouvelle-France, faite en 1673 · Quebec, le 1er Aout, 1674]. This original cross was sawed off and carried away by vandals on Aug. 11, 1914 [see note in Chicago Daily Tribune of May 17, 1915], but was replaced by a very similar cross on May 16, 1915. Also shown on the 1907 photograph is a small iron cross to the left of the large wooden one, with its own history. It is said to have memorialized only Father Marquette, been present in this location since at least 1898, and still existed in 1950. On Feb. 29, 1924, a Chicago Daily Tribune article announced that the large wooden cross would have to be removed because a bridge needed to be built across the river at the lower end of Robey Street, with a replacement to be considered nearby. This replacement turned out not to be another cross, but the Marquette – 1930 · bas-relief sculpted monument with bronze plaque listed above. 
Marquette Boulder Monument – 1895 · bronze plaque on boulder atop multiboulder base now  in Summit Park at 5810 S. Archer Road, Summit; inscribed: “Father Marquette landed here 1675 – This Monument is constructed of boulders brought by glaciers from Lake Superior region and deposited in this valley, having traversed the route later followed by the earlier French explorers, – La Salle, Joliet and Father Marquette. – Erected by Chicago & Alton Railroad Co. – August 1895.” The monument was originally erected on the Tolleston Beach Ridge northwest of [see] Point of Oaks, then railroad property; an earlier tablet included additional text: “On March 31, Fr. Marquette was flooded out from his winter quarters at Robey St., Chicago, and next day camped at this point which is located by a Comparison of his Journal with the original Engineers levels and surveys of the Country.” The photograph was taken by Alan Gornik, 2006. [280a, 417a]
Marquette Building – 1894 · designed by the architectural firm Holabird & Roche and built by the George A. Fuller Company at 140 S. Dearborn Street, this architectural gem`s decorative art contains a wealth of references to Chicago`s early history: four bronze panels over the main doors illustrate incidents in Father Marquette`s exploratory travels in Illinois and the Mississippi Valley, with inscriptions taken from the report of his travels, sculpted by Hermon Atkins MacNeil; within the lobby bronze bas-relief portraits of Talon, Frontenac, Marquette, Jolliet, Tonti, La Salle, Moreau, and noted Indian chiefs—among them Chief Chicagou, by Edward Kemeys—over the elevator doors and on the balcony; mosaics of glass and mother-of-pearl illuminating events in Marquette`s life, and of armor and weapons used in his time; designed by J.A. Holzer and prepared by the Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company of New York, mounted on the face of the balcony in the rotunda. [280a]
Marquette Building · bronze panel 2 – [280a]
Marquette Building · bronze panel 3 – [280a]
Marquette Building · bronze panel 4 – [280a]
Marquette Campsite 1674 – 1980 · bronze plaque at 401 N. Michigan Avenue, Equitable Building Plaza. Marquette`s companions were Pierre Portenet and Jacques Largillier. Surprised by bad weather while on their way to the Chicago portage, the group remained here from December 4 to the 12th, 1674, then moved six miles upstream to higher ground [where Damen Avenue now spans the stream]. Here they camped in a makeshift cabin until the end of March 1675. For an artist`s rendering of the campsite, see entry “Marquette Winter Quarters 1674.”
Marquette Cross – 1973 · 20-foot rough cedar cross at 2639 S. Damen Avenue, just north of the bridge over the Chicago River`s south branch, with an inscribed bronze plaque: “Near this Site Father Jacques Marquette, S.J., Missionary, Explorer and Co-discoverer of the Illinois River, spent the Winter of December 1674 to March 31, 1675.” Erected during the tricentennial observances of the voyage by Marquette and Jolliet, the cross was dedicated by John Cardinal Cody on Sept. 1, 1973. The photograph shown here is from a 1976 Chicago Tribunearticle provided by Alan Gornik. Currently, in 2008, the cross is no longer there. 
Marquette Sculpture – 1951 · in front of St. Mary`s Church at Division and Johnson streets in Utica, IL; noted and photographed by Alan Gornik, 2006. Inscription at the base of sculpture: “PÈRE MARQUETTE Born at Laon France June 1 1637 · He died near Ludington Michigan May 18 1675 · Devoted missionary and heroic priest-explorer · He offered the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass near this spot Maundy Thursday and Easter Sunday 1675 and established the first Christian mission in the Illinois country · This monument erected under Archbishop Joseph H. Schlarman · Bishop of Peoria · by the contributors of many · was unveiled by His Eminence Samuel Cardinal Stritch · Archbishop of Chicago · Sunday October 14 1951.” Inscription on back panel: “October 24 1674 Father Marquette set out from the Mission of St. Francis Xavier at the present De Pere Wisconsin with two voyageurs, Jacques Le Castor and Pierre Porteret, with orders to proceed to the Mission La Conception among the Illinois. · From December 4 1674 to March 30 1675 they wintered on the banks of the Chicago River and reached the Illinois village of the Kaskaskia Indians April 8 1675. · He was received there as an angel from heaven. He visited all the cabins, teaching and instructing the natives. Then he resolved to address all in public. It was a beautiful prairie close to a village which was selected for the great council. The audience was composed of 500 chiefs and elders seated in a circle around the Father and all of the young men, who remained standing. They numbered 1500 men without counting the women and children. · He explained the principal mysteries of our religion and the purpose that brought him to their country. Above all he preached to them Jesus Christ, on the eve of that great day on which He had died upon the cross for them, as well as for the rest of mankind. Then he offered the Holy Sacrifice, the first parish mass in the Illinois country. · On Easter Sunday, all things being prepared as on Thursday, he celebrated the Holy Mysteries for the second time. By these two sacrifices, the first ever offered there to God, he took possession of that land in the name of Jesus Christ and gave to that mission the name of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin. · Drawn from Father Claude Dablon in Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents.” [Editors` note: Father Marquette`s first travelling companion was Jacques Largillier, not Jacques La Castor.]
Marquette Winter Quarters 1674 – One of 16 historical paintings by Lawrence C. Earle, originally located in the banking room of the Central Trust Company of Illinois, 152 Monroe Street, Chicago [now stored within the Collection Services Department at the Chicago History Museum], this one commemorating Father Marquette`s lonely winter on the south branch of the Chicago River 1674/75. For a bronze plaque on the same event, see entry “Marquette Campsite 1674.” [280a]
Miami Woods – named after the Indian tribe that lived in Chicagoland when the Europeans first arrived. It is located in the North Branch Division of the Cook County Forest Preserve District, and is surrounded by Dempster Street, Lehigh Avenue, Oakton Street, and Caldwell Avenue.
Michigan Avenue Bridge – the renaming of this bridge as the DuSable Bridge was celebrated on Oct. 15, 2010 in Pioneer Court. Near the eastern pedestrian walkway of the bridge and on the north side of the river is a bust of [see] Jean Baptiste Pointe DuSable, elsewhere noted in the Monuments section.
Mitchell Musem of the American Indian – the John M. & Betty Seabury Mitchell Museum of the American Indian was established at Kendall College in 1977. The museum presents prehistoric, historic, and contemporary aspects of the lives of the native peoples of the United States and Canada, and exhibits many artifacts of the different cultures. Special programs and lecture series are regularly scheduled. The museum galleries and library are at 2600 Central Park Avenue in Evanston; call (847) 475-1030.