Parc aux Vaches – see treaties: 1821-Chicago, in the Encyclopedia section.
Pioneer Court Fountain – 1965 · 25 names of Chicago pioneers were set in bronze on the circular retaining wall of the fountain once on the east side of Michigan Avenue, just north of the Chicago River. They are: Jane Addams – Philip Danforth Armour – Daniel Hudson Burnham – Richard Teller Crane – John Crerar – Steven A. Douglas – Marshall Field – William Rainey Harper – Carter Henry Harrison – Gurdon Saltonstall Hubbard – William Le Baron Jenney – John Kinzie – Cyrus Hall McCormick – Joseph Medill – Walter Loomis Newberry – William Butler Ogden – Potter Palmer – George Mortimer Pullman – Julius Rosenwald – Martin Antoine Ryerson – Jean Baptiste Point Sable – Charles Henry Wacker – Aaron Montgomery Ward – John Wentworth – John Whistler. Among them are seven who arrived in Chicago before 1836, namely Hubbard, Kinzie, Newberry, Ogden, Point de Sable, Wentworth and Whistler. A 13.5″x31″ concrete tablet [see monument] at the fountain was inscribed: “Pioneer Court – A project developed cooperatively by the Chicago Tribune and the Equitable Life Assurance Society of the United States in commemoration of the pioneers whose names, selected by the Chicago Historical Society for their contribution to Chicago`s birth, growth and greatness, are set in bronze in the base of the fountain. – Dedicated June 23, 1965. – By J. Howard Wood, president of the Tribune Company and publisher of the Chicago Tribune, James F. Oates, Jr., Chairman of the Board of Equitable Life Assurance Society of the United States, and by Mayor Richard J. Daley of behalf of the City of Chicago.” [This fountain no longer exists at this location, 2004.]
Pioneers – 1928 · concrete sculpture on northwest pylon of Michigan Avenue bridge showing early settlers traveling to their new homesteads, with text tablet: “The Pioneers – John Kinzie, fur trader, settled near this spot in the early years of the nineteenth century. One of a band of courageous pioneers – who with their lives at stake – struggled through the wilderness, breaking soil for the seeds of a future civilization. Presented to the City by William Wrigley Jr. – 1928.”
Point Du Sable House – 1977 · bronze plaque at 401 N. Michigan Avenue, Equitable Building Plaza, inscribed: “Jean Baptiste Point Du Sable Homesite – Has been dedicated a national historic landmark – This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America – 1977 – National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior”; see Kinzie House · 1913.
Point du Sable, Catherine and Jean-Baptiste – 1997 · seven-foot-high, free-standing, three-sided porcelain placard at 401 N. Michigan Avenue honoring the notable couple with the opening statement: “Considered the founders of Chicago, Catherine (1756-1809) and Jean-Baptiste (1745-1818) Point du Sable established a fur trading post on this site in the 1770s or early 1780s, approximately a half-century before Chicago was incorporated.” The first of several Tribute Markers of Distinction implemented by the Public Art Program, Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs. [N.B. Of all these dates, only Jean Baptiste`s year of death has been documented; eds.]
Pointe Du Sable – bronze bust of Jean Baptiste Point de Sable by Marion Perkins, 1959; a second bust is by Robert Jones, 1979; six additional sculptures, unveiled and dedicated on September 22, 1978, interpret the “Spirit of Du Sable” in various degrees of abstraction, all located at the Du Sable Museum, 740 E. 56th Street. Sculptors: Robert Jones, Ausbra Ford, Geraldine McCullough, Jill N. Parker, Ramon Bertell Price, and Lawrence E. Taylor. [All sculptures or paintings of Point Du Sable are imaginary. If any images of him were created during his lifetime, none have survived. eds.]
Portage Creek – see Chicago Portage National Historic Site.
Porter, Rev. Jeremiah – 1893 · Chicago`s first Presbyterian minister (1833); his grave is in Rosehill Cemetery.
Point DuSable – 2009 · bronze plaque located at the SE corner of the intersection of State and 35th streets, at the western gateway: “Welcome To Bronzeville – In 1770, A Black Man, Jean Baptiste Pointe DuSable, – Began Trading Goods With Native Americans. – DuSable High School Honors Him. By 1840, Blacks – Settled In Chicago`s `Black Metropolis` – Now Known As Bronzeville.”
Post Office – 1937 · bronze plaque at the northwest corner of Wacker Drive and Lake Street, inscribed: “First Post Office – Near this site in 1833, the log store of John S.C. Hogan, was this section`s only post office, serving settlers from miles around. Eastern mail was delivered once a week from Niles, Michigan. – Erected by Chicago`s Charter Jubilee – Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society – 1937.” Prior to the use of Hogan`s store, beginning in 1831, Jonathan Bailey, Chicago`s first postmaster, handled postal services from the old Kinzie house, which Bailey had rented. If correctly inscribed, the bronze plaque should therefore read “SECOND POST OFFICE.”
Potawatomi Indians – 1930 · boulder marker at the entry of Timber Trails Country Club on Plainfield Road near Wolf Road, with bronze plaque inscribed: “Last camp site of the Potawatomie Indians in Cook County – 1835 – Erected by the LaGrange Illinois Chapter – Daughters of the American Revolution – May 15th 1930.”
Potawatomi Woods – named for the Chicago area Indian tribe, members of which were part of village life until 1835. The woods are in the northernmost section of the Des Plaines Division of the Cook County Forest Preserve District, surrounded by County Line Road, Portwine Road, Dundee Road, and Milwaukee Avenue.
Prairie Avenue Historic District – bordered by Indiana Avenue, 18th Avenue, Prairie Avenue, and Cullerton Street. See Clarke House; see Fort Dearborn Massacre · 1893.
Presbyterian Church – 1937 · bronze plaque commemorating the first permanent meeting place on the southwest corner of Lake and Clark streets, inscribed: “Chicago`s First Presbyterian Church – Near this spot was erected in 1833, Chicago`s first Presbyterian Church, organized June 26, 1833, by Rev. Jeremiah Porter. The building was dedicated January 4, 1834. – Erected by Chicago`s Charter Jubilee – Authenticated by Chicago Historical Society – 1937.” [This bronze plaque could no longer be located by the editors as of 1998.]